Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Neuragen Experiment: Day 5 observations

Reviewed my pain diary and notes from yesterday and can conclude that at least, anecdotally, (is that the right word?) Neuragen appears to have some affect on the level of pain, especially breakthrough pain. The caveat is, though, that the ointment needs to be applied BEFORE an increase in the base pain level is experienced. The applications should be no more than 6 hours apart; sooner depending on the kind/level of activity, and “feelings” in the cheek area. Implications for the dental pain are less obvious; but given that, the relationship of teeth pain to face pain is unclear, this aspect of the experiment will take more time and analysis.

An interesting “side effect” of the experiment is increased awareness of the spasming (not in my Spell Check) on the right side of the neck (the non-Neuragen side) and tightness/pain issues with the back of the neck and upper spine. Since, as the old commercial goes “a little daub will do ya,” I may try the ointment on these other areas. Issues with the back of the neck and upper spine relate to osteoporosis, arthritis and activities/positions; the spasms are more “fuzzy” in terms of cause, although I know certain neck/head positions and activities seem to trigger more neck spasms that in turn can trigger pain, tightness, and migraines. As I have intermittent dental pain on the right side as well, there is a chance that these spasms are somehow connected.

Over the last couple of days, I must confess, I had a crisis of self-confidence. Part of my “carry-around” luggage has always been wanting to “fit in,” be part of a larger community, to have my opinions and feelings be noticed, acknowledged and deemed important by that community. The older I get, the more I have stuffed into my carry-around luggage, so the harder it can be to unpack. I started blogging for a variety of reasons, but deep down, the lonely little kid who wanted to fit in thought that the virtual world could provide what the real world hadn’t: a sense of belonging, of mattering, of being on the inside looking out. For that kid, having met some incredible people didn’t fill the void; when the adult me regained some measure of control (no, I don’t have multiple personalities), there was more appreciation of what I have, not what I want or wish for. I’m not always sure if it’s the lonely kid or the shaky adult who excitedly checks to see if a comment to a forum has been acknowledged by other members, who feels the familiar disappointment when my contribution seems to kill an active discussion thread, or is slighted by an unreturned email. So, I apologize if I slighted anyone by bemoaning the lack of response to my postings. This blog, even if no one read it, is a step away from the inner child. I even included a front view of me “down on Main Street” with a toy-like digital camera bought to take “remembry, not quality, pictures. Perhaps I’ll post a photo-essay. And, I wonder what tomorrow will bring.

“new” fibromyalgia links, one about fibromylagia and exercise, the other a personal discussion by hibernationnow.



[Via http://phylor.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment