Saturday, December 26, 2009

The Jellybean Dinner

Last night my children and I had dinner together upstairs in our bedroom. My husband was off to Western Mass. to bring our lovey dog to his parents for Camp Callie.  Usually,  If we go away our sensitive dog, Callie, either stays at home and our neighbors and friends come in to feed her and walk her but this time the grandparents wanted to have the dog and take care of her. She loves them.

My son was in an absolutely celebratory mood, a Junior in High School, he also works every day after school, with the exception of “off limits Fridays.”  he came home happy, haven gotten a Christmas bonus from our lovely neighbors and he was thrilled. As a mom, I of course was thrilled for him. In addition to money they also gave him a huge selection of jelly bellies and a box of chocolate for the family.  Quite a lovely and thoughtful gift from his employers (our neighbors!)

I gave Tim money to get dinner for us and he went to his favorite place, Villarina’s, to gt some wraps for Jillian and for me. I can’t begin to express the love and fun that was at the meal as the three of us crowded around my bed and ate and talked. We were excited becauae we were going away for a few daysto Aruba, something that Tim had been looking forward to and had not been able to go for years. Our moods were bright with the promise of tomorrow and without the more formal seating of the kitchen table.

For pre-D, (pre-dessert)  Tim opened up his box of assorted jelly beans and started tasting them and of course, threw some to Jillian and to me. There was  laughter and joy and warmth I hadn’t felt in a long, long time. I felt like i hadn’t had this opportunity to just be with the kids for a long time. After all, I had been sick for almost two years. The jellybean dinner was the payoff. The opportunity to be with my two teenagers as we laughed, and teased each other and caught up on some old memories. This was worth more than any expensive dinner I could have gone too. This was living; this is what I meant to do.

I was home, with both children with me, not stressed, and full of fun. for a : holiday wish, you just can’t get better than this: a memory of fun, closeness,love and warmth and yes, at least 50 different flavors of jelly beans. Happy Holidays to all!

[Via http://hibernationnow.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment