Saturday, February 27, 2010

Medical Marijuana and Fibromyalgia

There is an article on CNN entitled Medical Marijuana May Help Fibromyalgia Pain that I thought I would share because of all the discussion we have had in the past few weeks about drugs and pain management… It appears to me that there are SO many of us that are truly suffering, and what medications we do have on the market to treat Fibromyalgia have inconsistent findings at best.

Lyrica, Cymbalta, Neurontin, Savella, Nortryptilene, Tramacet, Tramadol, Oxycontin, Vicodin…. these are all drugs that we are either familiar with because we have taken them, or we have researched in hopes that one of them might be the “Magic Pill” that might take our pain away…..  But ask anybody who had had experience with these drugs, and a percentage of them will tell you that they didn’t work for them…. or they worked but the side-effects were just too much to handle, and the risk wasn’t worth the reward…

In this day and age, when we can CURE diseases that were death sentences in years gone by – WHY is it that we all suffer more than we should have to, and it just doesn’t seem like we have many good options out there?

I have heard quite a bit in the last while in regards to marijuana being an effective pain management drug.  Either in pill form (such as Cesamet),  mouth spray form (Sativex), or in synthetic form (Nabilone) – there have been promising studies that cannabinoids might just be a pharmaceutical option for those who suffer from severe Fibromyalgia that doesn’t respond to other drugs on the market.

We have probably all heard of cancer patients using marijuana to improve appetite, control nausea from chemotherapy, and control pain – but there might just be some validity to using the drug to control other illnesses and diseases.

I don’t think I know enough to form an opinion as of yet, but I am researching it as much as I can.  One thing I know for sure is that I have had MANY medications given to me in the past 4 years, and I have suffered through a TONNE of side-effects, and for the most part these drugs didn’t work.  I never got to the point that I was properly ‘managing’ my pain on any of them… And I have had to suffer through Discontinuation Syndrome when weaning myself off a few of these, and the whole experience was quite frustrating AND disheartening.

I get quite frustrated at the choices I have had in medically treating my illnesses, or the lack thereof.  I am again in a position that the SIX medications I am on are not controlling my pain or other symptoms, and I am facing having to add yet another drug to my repertoire…. and it makes me angry at times…  We can land a human being on the MOON, We can create a computer that fits in the palm of your hand, We can invent a car that runs on garbage…. but we CAN’T learn how to control pain effectively….

Is Marijuana worth trying?

Will it give back a quality of life that so many people have lost?

Can you get over the stigma and association most people have with ‘dope’?

What do you guys think?

[Via http://gracefulagony.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment