Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I Am Not My Illness Even If You Can't See It

 

I just read a beautiful post by a woman getting ready to celebrate one year since she started sharing with everyone her struggles and triumphs in the world of illness. As part of that club, I am so fortunate to have people like Dannette (FibroHaven) in my life even if only on my computer screen.

I didn’t even realize that it’s National Invisible Chronic Illness Awarness Week. You may be wondering what exactly that means and how someone could be ill and you don’t know. I have lived this way for many years and have learned to live with it and hide the symptoms. There are people all around you that are suffering with “accepted” diseases like cancer and you may not know it. Imagine living every day in so much pain that each movement is a struggle. Fatigue so strong that you can barely stand at all.

 

“But you don’t look sick.” 

 Can someone please tell our bodies that? I would like to personally thank the makeup companies although even that doesn’t always work. I used to keep it to myself because I didn’t want to burden anyone else. I still do not let on to a lot of it because I don’t need the pity. If anyone asks though, I am more than willing to indulge their questions so that they can understand and be more understanding. Sometimes, this still leads to being treated differently but most of the time it leads to helping someone else even if not right away.  

Just remember this:

  I am not just my illness.

No comments:

Post a Comment